Olivet College’s biochemistry major provides education in inorganic, organic, biological, analytical and physical chemistries, along with essential training for those students seeking medical or graduate school.
You can apply this major to research, toxicology, biomedical studies and many other careers in the sciences.
This major can also be paired with programs in biology or environmental science.The following is an overview of courses associated with our biology major. We encourage you to speak with a faculty representative during your on-campus visit for detailed information about your specific program interests.
Biochemistry Major Core Courses
- BIO III Principles of Biology – Molecules to Cells
- BIO 311 Pathophysiology
- BIO 403 Environmental Health and Toxicology
- BIO 401 Cell Biology
- BIO 404 Genetics
- CEM 151 General Chemistry I
- CEM 152 General Chemistry II
- CEM 153 General Chemistry I Laboratory
- CEM 154 General Chemistry II Laboratory
- CEM 221 Analytical Chemistry I
- CEM 223 Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
- CEM 231 Organic Chemistry I
- CEM 232 Organic Chemistry II
- CEM 233 Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
- CEN 234 Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
- CEM 332 Biochemistry – Biomolecules and Metabolism
- CEM 333 Biochemistry – Molecular Genetics and Biosynthesis
Complete one of the following:
- CEM 401 Physical Chemistry
- CEM 431 Molecular Biology Techniques