Actuarial Science Major
Olivet College’s actuarial science major is designed to provide you with the necessary mathematical and business knowledge for you to prepare for actuarial exams administered by the Society of Actuaries and the Casualty Actuarial Society. This major was created in response to the corporate world’s growing demand for actuaries, who evaluate the likelihood of events and plan for the financial consequences of risk.
The following is an overview of courses associated with our actuarial science major. We encourage you to speak with a faculty representative during your on-campus visit for detailed information about your specific program interests.
For an official description of courses and degree requirements, please reference our academic catalog.
Actuarial Science Major Core Courses
- CS 140 Computer Science I
- CS 240 Computer Science II
- MTH 151 Calculus I
- MTH 152 Calculus II
- MTH 232 Statistics
- MTH 241 Probability
- MTH 253 Calculus III
- MTH 320 Linear Algebra
- MTH 354 Differential Equations
- MTH 405 Advanced Calculus
- BUS 201 Principles of Accounting I
- BUS 202 Principles of Accounting II
- BUS 316 Financial Management I
- ECO 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECO 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- IRM 221 Principles of Insurance and Risk Management
- IRM 490 Strategic Management of Insurance Enterprise
- IDS 390 Cooperative Education
"The love is real. Olivet faculty will help you graduate as long as you are willing to help yourself first. Olivet is small, which means small classes and more opportunities to meet one-on-one with faculty. You aren’t just a number."