Branches (April 22) campus news briefs
Apr 22, 2003
The Olivet College Echo receives awards in newspaper contests
The Olivet College Echo is once again recognized as a top college newspaper by the American Scholastic Press Association (ASPA) and Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).
The Echo received a first place award for colleges with an enrollment of 500 to 1,000 people in the ASPAs Annual Review and Contest Awards for scholastic newspapers and other publications. The Echo previously received this award in 2000.
In addition, The Echo received an honorable mention in the SPJ Region IV Mark of Excellence Awards. The publication was previously recognized by the SPJ when it earned first place in the Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper category in 2001.
The 114-year-old Olivet College Echo is published biweekly. Earlier this year, the publication received two Division III awards in the Michigan Press Association/Michigan Collegiate Press Association College Newspaper Contest.
Olivet College Junior Centerfielder Beau Locker Named MIAA Position Player of the Week
Olivet College junior centerfielder Beau Locker (Coldwater/Union City High School) has been named the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Position Player of the Week.
Locker batted .417 (five-for-12) as the Fighting Comets swept a three-game MIAA series on April 18 and 19 at Calvin College. He had a home run, double, scored six runs and drove in five more.
For the season, Locker leads the team in hitting at .449. He also leads Olivet with 44 base hits, 23 RBI, 24 runs scored and 12 stolen bases. Locker is second on the team with a .622 slugging percentage and has a .966 fielding percentage (two errors in 58 chances).
Locker and the Comets will look to win their eighth straight game on April 22, as they host Defiance (Ohio) College in a non-conference single game at 4 p.m. On Friday-Saturday, April 25 and 26, Olivet travels to play a three-game MIAA series at Kalamazoo College. Fridays single game will begin at 4 p.m., and the doubleheader on Saturday will start at 1 p.m.
On Tap at Olivet
* April 1728 Graduating Senior Art Exhibition Katie DeBarr Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Barker-Cawood Gallery, Mott Building. Closing reception, Friday, April 25 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
* April 22 Baseball vs. Defiance College 4 p.m., Griswold Field
* April 23 Intensive Learning Term (ILT) begins
* April 25 Softball vs. Huntington (Ind.) College (DH) 1 p.m., Griswold Field
* May 113 Graduating Senior Art Exhibition Melissa Morgan Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Barker-Cawood Gallery, Mott Building. Opening reception, May 3 from 3 to 5 p.m.
* May 3 Baseball vs. Aquinas College 1 p.m., Griswold Field
* May 7 Baseball vs. Hope College 4 p.m., Griswold Field
* May 8 Baseball vs. Hope College (DH) 1 p.m., Griswold Field
* May 16 ILT ends
* May 17 Alumni Day
* May 18 Baccaleaurate and Commence