Spring has officially sprung and Olivet College’s campus has transitioned from snow to sun. This season, students have many opportunities to enjoy the warm weather, make a difference, and of course, have fun! Here are just 10 events and activities Comets are looking forward to this spring.
1. Spring Athletic Games – Student-athletes on the golf, tennis, lacrosse, baseball, softball, track and field and men’s volleyball teams are hitting the court, field and diamond while the rest of OC Nation cheers them on! There are many opportunities every week to show Comet spirit and pride, catch some sun and unwind, whether competing in or watching athletic events.
2. Service Day – On Wednesday, March 28, better known as Service Day, students will dedicate their time to serve OC and the surrounding communities. Comets will undertake projects on campus to refresh the Burrage Library, media studios and art gallery pedestals, in addition to gardening and collecting debris throughout the city of Olivet.
3. Sushi Day – During the hard work on Service Day, students will be able to recharge in the Kirk Center with a special lunch featuring sushi, on the menu by popular demand!
4. Senior Art Exhibition – The annual art exhibition featuring Olivet Colleges graduating seniors kicks off on April 5 and is open for viewing until May 19. The 2018 exhibit will showcase work by Daniel Neugent, a visual arts dual discipline major with a concentration in business; Colton Parish-Miller, a double major in graphic design and studio arts, with printmaking, painting and sculpture as his foci; and Kaila Redfield, a studio arts major with a passion for ceramics.
5. 2017-18 Award Ceremonies – The entire OC family will celebrate the achievements of students, faculty, staff and others throughout the 2017-18 academic year at three memorable events. The Multicultural Awards Banquet is April 6 at 6 p.m. in the Kirk Center, and the Student Life Awards will take place April 18 at 4 p.m. in the Kirk Center, followed by Honors Convocation at 6 p.m. in Mott Auditorium.
6. Performing Arts Events – As the end of the semester nears, performing arts events are great chances for Comets to take a break from their busy schedules. The Jazz Ensemble takes the stage on April 9 and the Wind Ensemble performs April 12. In addition, the College Choir will join high school students interested in vocal arts at OC April 20 for a unique concert. All events begin at 7 p.m. in the Olivet Congregational Church and welcome the whole community.
7. Sunshine and Squirrels – Events aren’t the only thing students look forward to in the spring. OC’s campus includes many great spots to enjoy the outdoors while studying or watching the many squirrels who call the great oaks home. Secluded picnic tables near the Kirk Center are quiet and cool in the shade, the Square is a great place to connect with friends while kicking back in a hammock, and Blair Lawn is the ideal spot for a game of ultimate Frisbee.
8. Out of the Darkness Campus Walk – The Marching Comets and psychology program have teamed up to host an Out of the Darkness Campus Walk April 14 supported by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. These students are leading the charge to expand the conversation on mental illness and suicide prevention, and the event will bring an Interactive Screening Program to campus. Everyone is encouraged to get involved!
9. SGA’s College Night – The Student Government Association (SGA) is hosting OC College Night at the Lamplighter, a local restaurant, from 9 to 11 p.m. April 3. The evening will serve as a special place for Comets to connect and learn more about SGA.
10. Commencement – All Comets, but especially the seniors, are looking forward to Commencement. While goodbyes are never easy, OC prepares students to become global citizens who lead positive change in the world, and the entire college community is honored to help the Class of 2018 move one step closer toward achieving their goals.
View the Events Calendar to learn about more upcoming events at Olivet College for alumni, high school students and all Comets. Contact the Office of Admissions at 800.456.7189 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.