Olivet College is home to renowned music ensembles, talented vocal groups and many extraordinary art students thanks to robust academic offerings and extracurricular opportunities. To showcase the talent of these incredible students, special performances, concerts and art exhibits are scheduled every semester. Be sure to check out the following upcoming art events in November and December – every event is free and open to the public!
1. View “Small Spaces,” a special art exhibition by OC Professor Emeritus Don Rowe, through Dec. 1 in the Kresge Foundation Art Gallery inside the Riethmiller Blackman Art Building at Olivet College. Before retiring to devote himself exclusively to making art, Rowe taught painting, printmaking, drawing, composition, and art appreciation at Olivet College for 45 years. Rowe originally created the artwork exhibited in “Small Spaces” as a series of color studies, exploring the combination of colors similarly to the composition of chords and harmonies to create music.
2. Watch the Jazz Ensemble perform at the Olivet Congregational Church, 125 College St., on Monday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. The one-of-a-kind show will feature a wide range of jazz styles such as swing, post-bop, Latin and funk by jazz icons including Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane and Benny Carter. The performance will also feature two vocal jazz pieces, “Beyond the Sea” and “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.”
3. Catch the Marching Comets in the Marshall Christmas Parade on Monday, Nov. 27 at 7 p.m. This year, the 53rd annual parade will feature classic displays like floats, bands and firetrucks. The route travels from the Brooks Fountain to Exchange Street. There’s sure to be music, celebration and plenty of beautiful light displays.
4. Listen to the Wind Ensemble at the Olivet Congregational Church on Thursday, Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. This concert will feature a variety of music performed by small ensembles as well as music performed by the full wind ensemble.
5. Enjoy the Choral Holiday Concert at the Olivet Congregational Church on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 3 p.m. The OC college choir will join forces with the Charlotte High School Choir to ring in the holiday season with new and old favorite holiday tunes. Bring the whole family and sing along!
6. Attend a special artist’s reception featuring high school students from around the state on Friday, Dec. 15 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. The reception will also serve as the awards ceremony for the inaugural Olivet College Regional High School Student Art Exhibition. Participants are eligible to receive talent-based scholarships for up to $3,000. The artwork will be on display in the Kresge Foundation Art Gallery from Dec. 15-22.
View the Arts Event Calendar for more information. For questions about visual art events, contact Gary Wertheimer, professor of art, at 269.749.7627 or email@example.com. For questions about performing art events, contact Ramona Kime, Ph.D., Arts and Humanities Department chair and professor of music, at 269.749.7692 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about arts and humanities at Olivet College, contact the Office of Admissions at 800.456.7189 or email@example.com.