Dear Comet Family and Friends,
You are in our thoughts and prayers as the U.S. and the world respond to the spread of the coronavirus and our everyday lives are changed and challenged.
Olivet College is 176 years old and has weathered many world events that have changed the way we operate, educate, and live out our mission. On Thursday, March 19, we began a new and unexpected chapter in the history of Olivet College – the transition to remote learning in response to the COVID-19 situation. As with every other major change, we are confident that OC Nation will navigate this path with understanding, compassion and responsibility. Our goal is simple: to continue educating our students.
Olivet College is taking many precautions to help slow the spread of coronavirus, including the following actions:
- Remote Learning: Online learning will take place through the end of the semester. While we would have preferred to return to campus at some point during this term, rapidly changing developments in the spread of coronavirus within the State of Michigan and the governor’s “Stay-At-Home” order issued March 23 necessitated this action. We recognize that this is an unprecedented decision.
- College Events: All college-sponsored events, activities and gatherings have been postponed or canceled through April 13. As more information becomes available and we receive updated recommendations from state and national health officials, we will re-evaluate our approach to gatherings planned beyond April 13. As of today, no decision has yet been made regarding Commencement. We will communicate as soon as these decisions are made.
- Intensive Learning Team (ILT): Intensive learning term courses this year will be switched to remote learning or canceled. All travel associated with any ILT is suspended.
- Alumni Events: Several alumni gatherings have been canceled. While we are sad to cancel any opportunity for us to connect as the Comet family, your health and safety are our priority. We will continue to evaluate the safety of future gatherings on a daily and weekly basis and will announce decisions about future events in a timely manner.
- Athletics: Olivet College and the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) have canceled all college sanctioned athletics for the remainder of the 2019-2020 academic year, which includes all athletic-related activity, meetings and practices.
- Remote Work Environment: The College is open and continuing to operate. Olivet College staff whose essential functions do not require them to be on campus have been transitioned to remote work environments to comply with the governor’s March 23 “Stay-At-Home” order in an effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We are thankful for the committed faculty and staff who are adapting rapidly to make this possible.
I encourage you to follow Olivet College on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. There is still much going on at Olivet College and much to celebrate, and all of that will be shared on our social media channels.
It is our goal as a college to take all actions which protect the safety and health of Comet family members while continuing the critical work of the College, which is Education for Individual and Social Responsibility – a mission that is more critical than ever right now. As we navigate this rapidly changing situation, we will continue to make operational and educational decisions based on recommendations from local, state and national health officials.
My deepest gratitude to the alumni, community members and friends of the College who have offered help, support and encouragement. It speaks to the dedication of our Comet family to the vision of our founders all those years ago – that we should teach students the divine art and science of doing good to others.
You and your families are in my thoughts. Care for one another, be kind and be patient. We are Olivetians – we will get through this together.
Thank you for your continued support of Olivet College.
Steven M. Corey, Ph.D.