We’ve had a great week at Olivet College! Thank you for continuing to do your part in helping to slow the spread of COVID-19. Each of us, as part of the Olivet College family, share in this responsibility. As we continue to see at other colleges and universities, young adults are not immune to the virus. Responsible behavior is required to safeguard our on-campus residential experience.
This communication covers the following essential topics:
- Stay On Campus to Keep COVID-19 Off Campus
- Student Gatherings/Event Violations
- Use of Laimbeer Fitness Center and Upton Gymnasium
Stay On Campus to Keep COVID-19 Off Campus
We find that individuals leaving the campus and then returning is how the virus is making its way to Olivet College. We must all do our part to keep our personal “bubble” small during the pandemic. Be mindful of who, where, when and how you interact with others when off campus – even if you’re back home visiting family.
Please consider staying on campus, including the weekends, unless you have an urgent need to leave. If you do need to go home, to an off-campus job or to the store for necessary supplies, take precautions to keep yourself safe. And before you go, think how your actions may impact your friends, classmates, faculty and staff when you return to campus.
- Wear a mask that covers your nose, mouth and chin.
- Physically distance at least six feet from others.
- Avoid large gatherings.
- Wash your hands often.
- Complete your daily temperature and health check.
Updates to the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan — Communal Spaces
Non-campus sanctioned events for groups of six or larger are prohibited in all campus buildings, including the dining hall, residence halls, apartments and Greek housing. Also, no off-campus visitors are allowed at this time.
Students may face disciplinary actions if capacity limits are exceeded for sanctioned events, not wearing masks or practicing social distancing at sanctioned events, or hosting and/or participating in a non-sanctioned event. Students who cannot or are unwilling to adhere to the established expectations may be required to do the following:
- Self-quarantine for 14 days either at home (off campus) or at a location designated by the college (if warranted).
- Transition to remote learning and not participate in any co-curricular or athletic events.
- Possible discipline up to and including suspension for the remainder of the semester.
- No tuition or housing refunds will be provided to students who are suspended for non-compliance with the established expectations.
Laimbeer Fitness Center and Upton Gymnasium Safety Guidelines
We are pleased that students now have access to the Laimbeer Fitness Center and Upton Gymnasium. Strict safety measures will be enforced to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Failure to adhere to the safety guidelines may result in the revocation of gym and fitness center privileges.
- Individuals must wear masks or protective face coverings and practice social distancing in fitness center and gymnasium spaces. Masks may be removed while using treadmills, ellipticals or bikes in the Laimbeer Fitness Center.
- Individuals must pre-register for workout sessions in advance. Workout sessions are limited to 60 minutes per day (two 30-minute or one 60-minute session) and maximum capacity requirements will be enforced.
- Individuals must present a clear Olivet College CARES ClearPass screening for the date of the workout session upon entry.
- Individuals must provide name, date and time of entry and exit for each work out session.
- The sharing of water bottles, towels or other equipment is prohibited.
- Individuals must clean equipment before and after use with cleaning materials provided.
- The housekeeping staff will disinfect all public areas, including the fitness center and gymnasium daily, with a priority for high touch surfaces (e.g., door handles and exercise equipment). Student-workers will also clean and sanitize equipment during fitness center and gymnasium hours of operation.
A sense of family is one of the primary reasons so many people choose Olivet College to learn or work. Together – even when physically distanced – we can make a difference. Together, we can take care of our family.