One week down, and just one more to go! It’s been quite a week for you. Thank you for understanding the need for the quick pivot to remote instruction for a 14-day period. We are grateful for your calm, patience and understanding during this unexpected shift. Together (even when socially distanced) we are fighting the spread of COVID-19, flattening the curve and taking care of one another. YOU are the reason we can return to the classroom as planned on Oct. 12.
This week’s communication covers the following topics;
- YES! We’ll Be Back in the Classroom on Oct. 12
- Positive Numbers
- Proactive Measures Continue
- Meal Service Modifications
- Help Stop the Spread – What You Can Do
- Self-Care Reminders
In-person Classes to Resume Monday, Oct. 12
- In-person classes will resume for your F2F and hybrid courses.
- Online courses will continue as usual.
- The housekeeping staff will continue to disinfect all public areas and classrooms daily, with a priority for high-touch surfaces (e.g., door handles, classroom desks and tables) and for shared equipment.
- Wear a face mask or cover that fits around your nose, mouth and chin.
- Be prepared to show that you’ve completed and passed the OC CARES CLEAR PASS daily health check.
The College continues to work with the Barry-Eaton District Health Department. The OC CARES dashboard has been updated to reflect the current numbers. As of Oct. 2, the College has 38 active cases of COVID-19 and 139 individuals are being monitored. We successfully flattened the curve, and cases of COVID-19 within the OC community are on the decline.
We are not out of the woods. You must continue to abide by all OC CARES guidelines and protocols if we are to keep the virus at bay.
Proactive Measures Continue
Temporary suspension of all high and moderate risk activities.
- Temporary suspension of all large social gatherings.
- Temporary suspension of all co-curricular activities and practices.
- Temporary suspension of student employment.
- Expanded and assigned meal service locations and suspension of in-dining options.
- Continued expectation of the wearing of a mask or face covering.
- Continued expectation of the daily temperature and health check via the OC CARES CLEARPASS.
- Continued prohibition of visitors on campus, including family.
- All non-essential employees are working remotely, where effective.
Meal Service Update and Starbucks
Beginning today, all meals will be served at the Kirk Center and continue as carry out only. If you have class during your suggested meal time, do not hesitate to go at the time that works best for you. See below for the brunch and dinner schedules.
Due to the low number of students utilizing the breakfast meal times, those hours have been suspended and students will be encouraged to grab a Breakfast Box for the next morning while picking up lunch or dinner.
And, if you haven’t heard – Starbucks is open. Take a break from class or studying and enjoy a pumpkin spice latte – you’ve earned it!
- 11:30 a.m. – Long Apartments, Shipherd Hall First Floor, Blair Hall First Floor, Gillette Student Village Apartments, Greek and theme houses (other than Adelphic)
- 12:10 p.m. – Adelphic, Shipherd Hall Second Floor, Blair Hall Second Floor and Dole Hall Second Floor
- 12:50 p.m. – Shipherd Hall Third Floor, Blair Hall Third Floor, Dole Hall Third Floor and Oak Hill Apartments
- 4:30 p.m. – Long Apartments, Shipherd Hall First Floor, Blair Hall First Floor, Gillette Student Village Apartments, Greek and theme houses (other than Adelphic)
- 5:10 p.m. – Adelphic, Shipherd Hall Second Floor, Blair Hall Second Floor and Dole Hall Second Floor
- 5:50 p.m. – Shipherd Hall Third Floor, Blair Hall Third Floor, Dole Hall Third Floor and Oak Hill Apartments
Help Stop the Spread – What You Can Do
This virus is not easy to beat; we must work together if we are to contain it. While we cannot guarantee a COVID-19-free campus, we can help stop the spread. As part of the OC CARES Pledge, we all agree to:
- Wear a mask at all times when not in our private living space.
- Socially distance at least six feet.
- Complete the daily health and temperature check using the OC CARES CLEAR PASS.
- Report if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms or come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Not have off-campus visitors, including family.
- Not have non-college sanctioned gatherings of six or more.
As our Olivet College community continues to figure out how to handle “the new normal” that COVID-19 has brought us, Dr. Erica Pearson, director of counseling, health and wellness, reminds us to take care of ourselves. Click here for some helpful tips from Dr. Erica. If you have questions or need support, email email@example.com.
Your perseverance during these two weeks demonstrates exceptional strength and resilience. Remind yourself every day that you are courageous, invincible and tenacious. Be proud of yourself, and continue to express kindness and patience toward your OC family.