Olivet College’s graphic design major is geared toward applying your fine art skills to graphic design and production. Combining traditional studio skills with Macintosh computers and the current industry standard software Adobe Creative Suite, you will be groomed in letter and type design, layout and art preparation, and computer generated solutions to graphic design challenges.
Students graduating with this major can move directly into employment in the advertising, publishing and illustration fields. Alternately, you may wish to further specialize by pursuing an advanced degree.
The following is an overview of courses associated with our graphic design major. We encourage you to speak with a faculty representative during your on-campus visit for detailed information about your specific program interests. For an official description of courses and degree requirements, please reference our academic catalog.
- ART 101 Image and Culture
- ART 105 Drawing Skills Lab
- ART 107 Visual Foundations
- ART 108 Introduction to Graphic Design
- ART 205 Portrait Sculpture: Fundamental
- ART 208 Layout and Typography I
- ART 209 Layout and Typography II
- ART 221 Sculpture: Fundamental
- ART 231 Printmaking: Fundamental
- ART 241 History of World Art II
- ART 242 Modern and Contemporary Art History
- ART 245 Figure Drawing: Fundamental
- ART 251 Painting: Fundamental
- ART 271 Biological Illustration: Fundamental
- ART 308 Electronic Publication and Web Design
- ART 408 Professional Preparation for Graphic Designers
- CS 116 Web Design and Development
- JMC 250 Photoshop
- JMC 203 Public Speaking
- BUS 309 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 311 Advertising