Our financial planning major will prepare you for a rewarding career in helping others plan for their financial security, gain practical experience in preparing and presenting a financial plan, and prepare for the life and health insurance agents’ licensing examination administered by the state of Michigan.
In addition to the course requirements, an internship is required and at least three internship credits must be earned before graduation. To enroll in 300- and 400-level IRM/FP classes you must have a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA, must maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA to continue and must have a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA to graduate from Olivet College with this major.
The following is an overview of courses associated with our financial planning major. We encourage you to speak with a faculty representative during your on-campus visit for detailed information about your specific program interests.
For an official description of courses and degree requirements, please reference our academic catalog.
Major Core Courses
- BUS 201 Principles of Accounting I
- BUS 202 Principles of Accounting II
- BUS 212 Business Law
- BUS 490 Business Policy and Strategic Management
- ECO 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECO 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- CS 210 Advanced Computer Information Systems
- MTH 232 Statistics
- IRM 221 Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
- FP 200 Fundamentals of Financial Planning
- FP 323 Individual Life Insurance
- FP 324 Insurance Code – LH License
- FP 328 Investments
- FP 350 Prospecting and Meeting Client Needs
- FP 351 Health and Long-Term Care Financing
- FP 421 Income Taxation
- FP 425 Employee Benefits
- FP 426 Planning for Retirement
- FP 430 Fundamentals of Estate Planning
- IDS 390 Internship