Olivet College is closely monitoring the outbreak of the new coronavirus (COVID-19), which was first reported in China and has since spread to the United States, including the Midwest. There are no confirmed cases in Michigan and no suspected cases at Olivet College. The current risk to the College and our surrounding community remains low.
What is Olivet College doing?
Olivet College is monitoring the spread of COVID-19 and its impact on our campus. The president has formed a task force that is meeting and making recommendations to the College based on guidance from several organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
What can you do?
The following simple steps go a long way in helping to avoid the spread of viruses, be it a cold, the flu or another infectious disease, such as COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Keep a container of hand sanitizer at the ready for when you do not have immediate access to soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into the crook of your arm or cover your mouth/nose with a tissue (and dispose of the tissue immediately).
- Use your arm or foot to push open doors. If you have to pull a door open, use a paper towel (or any paper) or pull your sleeve down to cover your hand to open the door.
- Do not share beverage containers.
- Avoid shaking hands; use a fist or elbow bump.
- Avoid large crowds in areas where viruses are prevalent, such as event venues, popular tourist attractions, public transit systems and airports.
- Clean your computer keyboard, phone, doorknobs, light switches and other commonly touched areas with disinfectant frequently.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
Presently, there is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for COVID-19. Most individuals will recover on their own. Symptoms appear two to 14 days after exposure and include fever, cough and shortness of breath. If you develop symptoms, stay home and visit your health care provider.
The following may help to relieve the flu-like symptoms:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Take pain and fever medications such as Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen.
- Take a hot shower or use a humidifier to relieve the discomfort from a cough or sore throat.
- Stay home until you are fever-free for 24 hours.
Olivet College will continue to monitor coronavirus and provide updates as needed. For more information on COVID-19, visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus.